Thursday, August 5, 2010

Izzy, the Boston Terrier, tells her story

Hello Everyone. My name is Izzy. I am an AKC registered Boston Terrier, currently in foster care with the Georgia Humane Society. I feel the need to tell my life story up to this point. About 3 weeks ago I was surrendered with my mate to a rural Georgia animal shelter - one that kills or "euthanizes" (whatever that means). Someone called Ga Humane Society and they came to rescue us. Whew! I thought I would be adopted into a forever home real soon! I'm an AKC registered Boston Terrier right? Adoption didn't turn out to be on my immediate itinerary! I was terrified to be in a loving foster home with a bed, doggie and kitty friends and people who wanted to give me treats, take me for rides and love me! I had been in a kennel all my life and required to turn out litter after litter of puppies for my old "family" to sell. I didn't know how to act or what to do. I'm always a sweet girl though, and I never get angry at anyone or another animal. I am loving, calm and gentle. Then came the Vet visit. That's when I found out I have real trouble. Even though I was a good mommy to all those pups my last owners sold, they never gave me heartworm medicine. A little blood test revealed I am heartworm POSITIVE! I also have a mammary tumor. I heard my foster mom say girl dogs are at high risk for them when they're not spayed at an early age. When GA Humane arranged for me to be spayed, they found I have a heart arrhythmia too! It may be because of my heartworms but I am not sure yet. They are talking about removing my tumor---I can't wait to see how they do that! I'm just going to hang out on the couch and get loved and pampered until they figure all this out. I have seen tears come in my foster mom's eyes as much of this news was given to her. She uses words and phrases like, "Positive, committed, all in, and thankful to GA Humane" so I hope things are going to be okay for all of us.

* Izzy has a long, difficult road ahead. She is strong though, and has "come alive" in our home the past few weeks. She is learning humans are loving and life can be enjoyable! GA Humane is committed to doing everything we humanely can to get Izzy healthy. The costs are staggering. If you would like to donate to Izzy's treatment, it would be so greatly appreciated. I will update as her treatment plan unfolds. Izzy's mate was not heartworm positive and has been accepted by a North American Rescue (he probably already has a forever home).

**If you would like to donate to help us care for Izzy...

-Roxie Patterson (proud foster mom of Izzy)