Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hero Mamma

I finally got to meet our "hero momma." Jolie is an 8 month old tabby/manx mix who is as gorgeous as they come. Seven weeks ago, she found herself living outside with her two new born boys. GHS was able to rescue them all and even hoped that Jolie would serve as a surrogate mommy to four kittens we found in the woods. Instantly, Jolie was raising 6 kittens which is definitely not an easy job. After many many weeks in foster care, Jolie was ready to be spayed and put up for adoption. Normally, when we get mothers who have just had kittens and been spayed they are pretty stressed. It usually takes them a couple days to warm up to the adoption center. On Saturday afternoon, I was planning on opening her travel kennel and letting her take her time getting familiar with our adoption center. To my surprise, I was greeted warmly by a bright eyed Momma who wanted to be picked up and held. She gave me some happy purrs and snuggled into my arms. Today, as I was working with her and the kittens, she head butted me a few times before cuddling against me and gently licking her kittens as they walked by. When I thought she was asleep, I went into the other room to start cleaning. She followed me and gave me a few happy chirps and weaved in between my legs. She's a great conversationalist! Jolie, as it turns out, is a very happy girl who loves people and loves her kittens dearly. I forget that she is really a teenage kitten herself and you would never know she hasn't had the easiest of lives so far. I already feel so connected to this little girl who is loving, playful, sweet, talkative, and our hero. I know Jolie will find her forever home soon, and then she can spend the rest of her life being loved and pampered like she deserves!